Calvinism Refuted: Defining irresistible grace
The doctrine that God uses feelings to directly confirmed your salvation
Are your feelings of salvation based upon the facts of the Bible?
A. Definition of "Irresistible grace":
- The doctrine of "irresistible grace" is the 4th of the 5 major points of Calvinism which are known by the acronym: T.U.L.I.P.
- Most evangelical denominations teach "Irresistible Grace" as their official doctrine from their creed.
B. Typical description of "Irresistible Grace"
- "Although the general outward call of the dispel can be, and often is, rejected, the special inward call of the Spirit never fails to result in the conversion of those to whom it is made. This special call is not made to all sinners but is issued to the elect only' The Spirit is in no way dependent upon their help or cooperation for success in His work of bringing them to Christ. It is for this reason that Calvinists speak of the Spirit's call and of God's grace in saving sinners as being 'efficacious,' 'invincible,' or 'irresistible.' For the grace which the Holy Spirit extends to the elect cannot be thwarted or refused, it never fails to bring them to true faith in Christ." (David N. Steele, Curtis C. Thomas, The Five Points of Calvinism, Defined, Defended, Documented: Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Co., 1975, p.49)
C. Discussion and illustrations for further understanding of "Irresistible Grace"
- An old Intel 286 central processor computer chip is simply unable to run Windows 95. It is an impossibility. In order to run Windows 95, you must replace the Intel 286 chip with a modern Pentium 586 central processor chip. (oversimplified for illustration purposes) Now a Calvinist sees all men born Totally depraved (inherited sin of Adam) as what literally prevents men from, by themselves, from believing the gospel. Calvinists teach it is impossible for "unregenerate men" to believe. What is needed is a special "chip upgrade" from the Holy Spirit which enables the regenerated man the ability to believe. So the only way any man believes, so Calvinists teach, is because the Holy Spirit has come down and performed a special act upon a specific man. Suddenly he springs up the proclaims, "I believe! Why didn't I see this before?" Why? Because without the Holy Spirit's special chip upgrade it is impossible to believe. Therefore, when men go to hell, it is because God never have them the upgraded chip...they never even had a chance to go heaven. This is the repulsive false doctrine of Calvinist.
- No matter how hard a cow tries to fly on its own, it is unable without a lot of outside help. In the same way, the unsaved, Calvinists maintain, are unable to believe in Christ no matter how hard they try without the outside help of Holy Spirit. God, they say, has a master "saved-lost list" that was compiled before creation. God not only knew your name before creation but also whether you were "pre-destined" to be lost or saved. If your name is on the "lost list", there is nothing you can do to go to heaven. God predestined you to go to hell. But if you were on the "saved list" you cannot be saved until the Holy Spirit "re-wires" your brain which allows you the ability to believe. Until the HS performs this work upon you directly, you are simply a "cow with high hopes".
- "Irresistible grace" refers to the action of the Holy Spirit in saving you by imparting the ability for you to believe in Christ. Unless the Holy Spirit "re-wires" your brain, you cannot believe in It is "irresistible" because the sinner cannot resist but is a puppet acting out the will of the master without freewill. It is "grace" because God has chosen them and not others to be saved. Once you are saved, there is no sin you can commit to cause you to be lost. (Perseverance of the saints or Once saved always saved)
Go To Start: WWW.BIBLE.CA