Ten commandments for wives
Intro: Definition of the home:
- Little boy's: "It's where we eat!"
- Teenage girl's: "It's where we go between midnight &
daybreak when all else is closed."
- Husband: "It is where we go to fight our private battles."
- Wife: "It is where we slave the hardest and are appreciated
- "Home is where the great is small and the small is great."
- "Home is where our stomachs get three meals a day and
our hearts a thousand."
- "Home is a place where a world of strife is shut out
and a world of love shut in."
- "Home is where we complain the most, but have the greatest
Expect not thy husband to give
thee as many luxuries as thy father hath given thee after many
years of hard labor. (Phil 4:11; Amos 4:1)
Thou shalt work hard to build thy
house with the husband that you have, not fantasizing about "the
one that could have been". (Prov 14:1)
- Fond Footsteps. I was visiting friends who had just celebrated
their 54th wedding anniversary" The husband entered in his
work boots, heaving clods of dirt behind him on the spotless kitchen
floor. Expecting the wife to be upset, I said, "His boots
certainly do bring the dirt in." "Yes," she said
with a smile as she got up to get the broom. "But they bring
him in too." by Shirley Scott
Thou shalt not nag...hit him with
thine frying pan, it is kindlier. (Prov 27:15; 21:19)
If the husband says
Sarah called Abraham Lord and walked 50 feet behind him.
God told Abraham to listen to the voice of his wife and obey all that she says Gen 21:12
Folding laundry is woman's work
Jesus neatly folded his laundry in the tomb John 20:7
Cooking is woman's work
Jesus cooked breakfast by the sea Jn 21:9
Making the bed is woman's work
Peter commanded Aeneas to "arise and make your bed" Acts 9:34
Acts 6 "We can not neglect the word of God to serve tables"
Did you notice that the apostles appointed 7 MEN
If I go to all the trouble of making a mess, the least you can do is clean it up.
If you go to all the trouble of making all the money, the least I can do it spend it!
Cleaning the house is not my work
Jesus cleansed the temple: Jn 2:13-16
Thou shalt coddle thy husband and
be a warm wife. (1 Cor 7:3-5)
The wife should not defaud the husband of his due. We know
what the guys never grow tired of
What due does a man owe his wife?
- To woo and coddled
- bring flowers
- tell her how pretty she is
- take her out on romantic dinners
- tell her how much you love her
- tell her how much she means to you
- You know
all the things you did when you were dating!
- Do women ever go tired of these things? Its a bottomless pit.
Seems silly to a man
- Until he forgets her birthday or VALENTINES DAY HINT.
- Husband says: "I know how much you and your girl friend
Marsha love this stuff
- Why don't the two of you buy each other flowers and go out
on a candle lit dinner?
Remember that the frank approval
of thy husband is more to thee than the side glances of many strangers.
(Ezek 16:32; 2 Pet 2:14)
Thou shalt not yell at thy husband
but will be a gentle and quiet spirit. (1 Pet 3:1-4)
- I have counseled a couple where the wife natters at the husband
and he leaves for another room. She follows him into that room
and continues nattering. He kept going from room, floor to floor,
till finally he hit her. She wasn't hurt or bruised, but he should
have just left. But did the wife share in the reason for getting
Permit no one to assure thee that
thou art having a hard time of it. (1 Pet 5:9)
- Husbands: Low self esteem was ranked as the number one problem
- Ask your wife after church today if she feels you respect
and feel she is important!
Thou shall not fail to dress up
for thy husband with an eye to please him, as thou didst before
marriage. (Sos 4:9-11)
- I have a saying, that a women enters middle age when she cuts
off her long hair very short.
Thou shalt submit to thy husband
from thy heart and allow him to be head of the household. (Col
3:18; 1 Pet 3:6; Eph 5:33)
Patterns Of Submission & Headship In The Bible
|All creation||God||Jas 4:7; Heb 12:9
|Christ||God||1 Cor 15:28
|All Creation||Christ||1 Cor 15:27-28;Heb 2:2;Eph 1:20-23;Phil 3:21;1 Pe 3:22
|Church||Leaders||1 Cor 16:16; 1 Th 5:12;Heb 13:17 (minister=servant/under rower)
|Children||Parents||Eph 6:1-4; Col 3:20-21; Lk 2:41-52; 1 Ti 3:4
|Young men||Older men||1 Pe 5:5
|Slaves||Masters||Eph 6:5-9; Col 3:22-24; Tit 2:9-10; 1 Pe 2:18-20
|Citizens||Government||Rom 13:1-6; 1 Pe 2:13-15; Tit 3:1
|Every Christian||To Others
|Wives||Husbands||Eph 5:22-24; Col 3:18; Tit 2:5; 1 Pe 3:1-7; 1 Cor 11:3
DO IT YOURSELF!
In Gen 18:6 Abraham said to Sarah, "Make ready quickly, three
measures of fine meal, knead it and make cakes." Can you
imagine Sarah answering, "Do it yourself"? This attitude
would have been out of character for her because "Sarah obeyed
Abraham, calling him Lord." 1 Pe 3:6 A wife's big test of
faith is if she will submit to her husband when he is unreasonable
and selfish, or when she knows she is being wrongs by his attitude.
Jesus never asks us to do anything He has not already done Himself!
Bible subjection never implies inferiority but rather strength!
Thou shalt assure thy husband and
others that he is the greatest man alive. (Phil 2:3; Sos 5:9-16)