The Mormon Church
The Church Of Jesus Christ
Of Latter-day Saints
Why people convert to Mormonism
in the first place
(The "Hook" of
"And for this reason God will send
upon them a deluding influence so that they might believe what
is false" 2 Thess 2:11.
A. Understanding how Mormons evangelize:
- When Mormons go fishing for men they know that the single
greatest barrier to conversion is the prospect's acceptance of
the book of Mormon as inspired. So they give you a copy of the
book and ask you to read it cover to cover then pray to God so
he will reveal that it is true. They will quote Moroni 10:4 "And
when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye
would ask God, the Eternal Father in the name of Christ, if these
things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart,
with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the
truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. And by the
power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."
- Asking a potential new convert to pray to God to reveal to
them feelings of confirmation that the B of M is true is a "a
form of positive hypnosis". This is merely the old Holiness
position of the miraculous convicting power of H.S. Many religious
groups when confronted with Bible truth are heard to reply, "I
can't answer your arguments, but I know you must be wrong because
I have the testimony of the Holy Spirit in my heart."
B. Mormons are not unique in this
"Holy Spirit feeling of truth"
- It is interesting to watch one Mormon sect use this "pray
to God to tell you we are right" technique on other Mormon
- Similar to Calvinism's "irresistible grace" where
sinner is brought to salvation by H.S.
- Similar to Pentecostals who use tongues as evidence they are
approved of God.
- "Baptist" type denominations, 7th Day Adventists,
Catholics all expect feelings from God to confirm that their faith
- Misinterpreting Jn 16:13 as help us interpret the Bible, rather
than how we got Bible.
- God never uses feelings to confirm truth! Faith comes by reading
Bible: Rom 10:17
C. Mormons are held in their faith,
not by objective scripture, but by internal feelings that they
have confused for confirmation of the Holy Spirit that Mormonism
- Faith in B of M "hooks" & holds" them to
the church regardless of the Bible's teaching.
- The Bible nowhere makes a similar promise of itself. Jas 1:5
does not teach this!
- This passage is addressed to brethren who are saved, not seeking
- Mormons are asking for knowledge, this passage promises wisdom.
- Wisdom and knowledge are different: Rom 11:33; Col 2:3
- Nothing in this passage indicates that Christians should give
non-believers a copy of the Bible and God would directly &
miraculously confirm its truthfulness.
- Try this approach: "Will you please read my Bible cover
to cover and ask God to reveal to you that it contains all of
God's message to man and that parts are not lost or altered?"
D. Avoid the following approaches
when teaching Mormons:
- Evidence of criminal/immoral character of Joseph Smith. (Smith
was convicted in criminal court, counterfeited, had multiple wives
and died in jail in a 2 way gun battle.) All this is true and
interesting, but there are better targets to aim at.
- Various theories as to who wrote the B of M i.e. Solomon Spaulding,
Sidney Rigdon etc. One can prove the B of M is not of divine origin,
that's all that really matters.
- Showing all the prophecies of Joseph Smith that failed &
proved to be false True but there are easier targets to aim at..
E. When dealing with Mormons it
is important to focus on removing the hook! Do not discuss doctrinal
differences, instead attack the credibility of the Book of Mormon
If Christians say...
Mormons think in their hearts...
"The Bible doesn't teach God has flesh & bones" or "that Jesus visited N. America after his ascension"
"do not suppose the Bible contains all my words, the Bible is not a compete revelation" 2 Nephi 29:30
The Bible doesn't contain the governmental pattern of organization currently used by Mormon church
"many plain & precious things taken away from the Bible, I trust B of M more than Bible" 1 Ne 13:26
The Bible contradicts B of M on Jesus' birth place
Bible has changed over time & has translation errors
The Bible says there is no marriage in heaven
The B of M was inspired in its translation.
The Bible says Mary was a virgin when conceived
The B of M is the most correct book on earth
The Bible is all we need to use to know about God
"Only fools use the Bible only" 2 Nephi 29:3-6
When dealing with Mormons lovingly attack the credibility of the Book of Mormon itself! Nothing else will work and it is an easy target to destroy!
Go To Start: WWW.BIBLE.CA