Faith is used 4 ways in the Bible
Faith ... but not faith only! (Jas 2:24)
A. Faith is not just part of religion but every aspect of our everyday lives:
1. Science: Ever seen electricity? You accept it by faith
2. Geography: Ever seen the Eiffel Tower?
3. Evolutionist's often chide those who believe in God for their faith
a. No one has ever seen any evidence for evolution it is purely theory
b. It takes more faith to believe in evolution than God
4. Store phones you to say your order is ready.
a. You accept by faith the word of the operator that the order is ready
b. Driving down to pick up the order is an ACT OF FAITH
5. We accept God because of testimony of creation & Bible Rom 1:18-20
a. Repentance and obedience to God's word is an ACT OF FAITH
B. Simple definition of faith: Heb 11:1
1. Faith is the substance of hope
a. "Substance": Lit. Greek: "a standing under"
b. Faith "stands under" our hope, is the foundation of our hope: Rom 8:24.25
c. Faith is the "title-deed" our pledge to things hoped: Heb 3:14
2. Faith is the conviction of things not seen: Heb 11:3
a. We accept God not only exists but He created everything in 6 days
3. Faith accepts even that which appears unreasonable: Rom 4:17
II. Faith (Gr: pistis) used in four ways:
A. #1: A Personal Belief, Mental Acceptance & Acknowledgement Of God's Existence:
1. Heb 11:1,6 Assurance of things hoped for conviction of things not seen
2. 2 Cor 4:18 We look at not at things seen, but at things not seen
3. 2 Cor 5:7 we walk by faith not sight
4. Jn 20:27-29 how blessed are they who have not seen but believe
B. #2: A conduct or work inspired by the compete surrender to mental acceptance:
1. Just as repentance can be seen: Mt 3:7-8, so too "faith can be seen": Mt 9:2
2. Jas 2:14-26 We show our faith by our works
3. We must have an obedient faith:
a. Obedience of faith: Rom 1:5; 15:18: 16:26
b. Acts 6:7 word kept spreading, great many priests became obedient to the faith
c. Mt 7:21-27 not only call "Lord", but obey
d. by faith, Abraham obeyed: Heb 11
4. Faith is said to do work:
a. Gal 5:6 faith working through love
b. 1 Th 1:3; 2 Th 1:11 work of faith
c. Heb 13:7 considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith
C. #3: A trusting or trustworthiness: (pistis)
1. Mt 24:45; 25:21,23; Lk 19:17 "faithful servant"
2. Rom 3:3 the faithfulness of God
3. 1 Cor 4:2 stewards must be faithful
4. 1 Cor 15:14,17 if Christ is not raised your faith is vain, worthless
5. 2 Th 1:3 your faith is greatly enlarged
D. #4: The System Of Doctrine And Morality Peculiar To Christianity:
1. Statements encouraging us to properly maintain the system of faith
a. Jude 3 contend earnestly for the faith
b. Gal 1:23 preaching the faith he once tried to destroy
c. Eph 4:5 only one faith
d. Eph 4:23 until we all attain to the unity of the faith
a. Acts 14:22 encouraging them to continue in the faith
f. Acts 16:5 strengthen in the faith
g. 2 Cor 13:5 test yourselves to see if you are in the faith
h. 1 Cor 16:13 stand firm in the faith
i. 2 Ti 4:7 1 have kept the faith
1. 1 Tit 1:13 reprove then that they may be sound in the faith
k. 1 Ti 4:1 in later times some will fall away from the faith
1. 1 Ti 4:6 nourished on the words of the faith and sound doctrine
m. 1 Ti 6:10 wandered away from the faith
n. 1 Ti 6:2021 Gone astray from the faith
2. Statements of general interest:
a. Gal 3:23 before the faith came we were under the law
b. Gal 6:10 especially the household of the faith
c. Acts 6:7 obedient to the faith
d. Rom 10:8 word of faith we preach
a. Lk 18:8 will Jesus find the faith upon the earth when He returns
III. How do we get faith?
A. Some wrongly teach faith comes directly from God, the Holy Spirit or Jesus
1. The Holy Spirit directly imparts faith independently of any medium.
2. God directly "operates" upon the sinner's heart to make Him a believer.
3. Problem: If a man has no faith, it is God's fault!
a. 1 Ti 2:34; 2 Pe 3:9 God's desire is for all to believe!
b. Jn 8:24 "unless you believe..." Jesus places responsibility upon man
4. Col 2:18 Many people claim God revealed something to then when God hasn't.
B. God indirectly imparts faith through the sodium or instrument of the Bible:
1. Rom 10:5-18
a. Who will ascend into heaven? ANSWER: Deut 30:10-14
b. V8 "the word of faith"
c. V17 faith comes from hearing the word of Christ
2. Jn 20:30-31 these things are written that you may believe
3. Jn 17:20,21 believe on me through their word.
4. Bible and faith used interchangeably: Acts 13:7,8 Gal 1:11,23
5. Acts 14:1 spoke in such a manner that many believed
6. Acts 15:7 hear the word of the gospel and believe
7. Acts 17:11,12 searched the scriptures daily-many therefore believed
8. Acts 18:8 many Corinthians, when they heard were believing being baptized
IV. Faith ... but not faith only!
A. There is a difference between faith only and saving faith: Jas 2:17,24
1. Demons believe, even confess Jesus as Lord: Jas 2:19; Mk 1:24.25
2. Jn 7:12.13 no one was openly speaking of His
3. Jn 12:42-43 many believed but would not confess the name of Jesus
4. Jn 9:22 Parents would not confess for fear of being put out of synagogue
A. If we walk by faith and not by sight, how can we see faith: 2 Cor 5:7
B. Yet faith allows us to SEE THE UNSEEN and BELIEVE THE UNBELIEVABLE
C. "If God said it, I believe it and that settles it!"
Go To Start: WWW.BIBLE.CA