The Blessings Of Following Christ: A Simple Study Outline
Matthew 19:27 ~ 1 Peter
The unity of Scripture demonstrates beautiful and sometimes surprising connections. Here is one example. Simon Peter, early in his experience with Christ, wanted to know: "What shall we have?"
"See, we have left all and followed You," Peter said, "therefore what shall we have?" (Matt. 19:27). That's in the first book of the New Testament. Later in the New Testament, Peter himself answers his own question! The answers are given in First Peter.
What Shall We Have?
· REDEMPTION: "...redeemed with the precious blood of Christ," (1 Pet. 1:18-21; 3:18-22).
· HOPE: "An inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you...rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ . . . Praise, honor and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ . . . so that your faith and hope are in God . . . and who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you are blessed. 'And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled' . . . give a defense to every who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear . . . partakers of the glory that will be revealed . . . the crown of glory that does not fade away . . . that He may exalt you in due time," (1 Pet. 1:4; 1:13; 1:7; 1:21; 3:13,14,15; 5:1-4; 5:5).
· JOY: "In this you greatly rejoice . . . joy inexpressible and full of glory . . . rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ's sufferings," (1 Pet. 1:6,8; 4:13).
· GRACE: "Things which angels desire to look into . . . Grace to you and peace be multiplied . . . who prophesied of the grace that would come to you . . . rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ . . . if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious . . . heirs together of the grace of life . . . good stewards of the manifold grace of God . . . God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble . . . But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you . . . this is the grace of God in which you stand," (1 Pet. 1:10-12, 2, 10, 13; 2:3; 3:7; 4:10; 5:5,10,12).
· PROTECTION: "...kept by the power of God . . . But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you," (1 Pet. 1:5; 5:10).
· PEACE: "Peace to you all who are in Christ Jesus, Amen," (1 Pet. 5:14).
· ENDURANCE: "Therefore, let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator," (1 Pet. 4:19).
Who Has These Blessings?
The Elect, 1 Pet. 1:2
The Obedient, 1 Pet. 1:2,14,22
The Faithful, 1 Pet. 1:5,7,21; 2:7
Those who love Him, 1 Pet. 1:8
Those who gird up the loins of the mind, etc., 1 Pet. 1:13
Those who refuse to be polluted by their past sin, 1 Pet. 1:14
The Holy, 1 Pet. 1:15,16
Those born again, 1 Pet. 1:3,23
Those who are growing, 1 Pet. 2:1-3
Those who proclaim His praises, 1 Pet. 2:9
Those who abstain from fleshly lusts, 1 Pet. 2:11
Those who maintain good conduct, 1 Pet. 2:12
Those who submit to legitimate human ordinances, 1 Pet. 2:13-16
Those who are bondservants of God, 1 Pet. 2:16
Those who treat God and all men with respect, 1 Pet. 2:17 (3:8; 4:8,9)
Those who submit to their masters, 1 Pet. 2:18
Those who suffer for righteousness' sake, 1 Pet. 2:19-25 (3:18-22)
Those wives who maintain chaste behavior, 1 Pet. 3:1-6
Those husbands who dwell with their wives according to knowledge, 1 Pet. 3:7
Those who refuse to return evil for evil, 1 Pet. 3:9-12
Those who are followers of what is good, 1 Pet. 3:13-14 (3:16-17)
Those who sanctify the Lord God in their hearts, 1 Pet. 3:15-17
Those armed with the mind of Christ, 1 Pet. 4:1-6
Those who are serious and watchful, 1 Pet. 4:7
Those who are good stewards of the manifold grace of God, 1 Pet. 4:10-11
Those who rejoice in suffering - committing their souls to Him, 1 Pet. 4:12-19
Those elders who faithfully lead, 1 Pet. 5:1-4
Those younger who submit, 1 Pet. 5:5
The humble, 1 Pet. 5:6-7
By Warren E. Berkley
From Expository Files 15.10; October 2008